My Guide Website?
Lake Skadar: Private Cruise around the Montenegrin Alcatraz13 Reviews
Discover the breathtaking views of Lake Skadar, during this hour long guided tour. Get close to the famous Montenegrin Alcatraz and take a refreshing swim in the deep blue waters of the lake.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Albania:If youʻre booking your trip to Albania last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Navigate along a small river channel with a fence made of willows and reeds
- Soak up the scenic views of Mount Vranjina and the impressive ranges in Albania
- Watch the ruined fortress Grmožur ascend from the waters of Lake Skadar
- Observe birds as they dry their wings on the top of the walls of Grmožur
- Take a refreshing swim in the captivating crystal-clear waters of the lake
DescriptionStart your journey in Virpazar - a tiny townlet situated in the heart of Lake Skadar, and set off on your scenic 1-hour sightseeing cruise. Navigate along a small river channel with a fence made of willows and reeds. Exit the river and find yourself on the open lake while the boat proceeds to Grmožur. Meanwhile, soak up the incredible views of Mount Vranjina and the impressive ranges in Albania, rising from the biggest lake in Southern Europe. Twenty-five minutes away from Virpazar, the ruined fortress Grmožur ascends from the waters of Lake Skadar. This abandoned fortification is known as Montenegrin Alcatraz and used to be a jail in the time of King Nikola. Among the locals, Grmožur was called the Island of Snakes. Nowadays, the island is a permanent habitat for certain bird species and a temporary retreat during the migration from Central and Northern Europe to Africa. That is why it has another, much more beautiful name - the Island of Birds. Admire the impressive fortification - Grmožur, from approximately 20 meters distance as you circle it. During the journey, marvel at the breathtaking panoramas, and keep your eyes peeled for many species of native birds, including cormorants, herons, seagulls, and, if you are lucky, maybe some pelicans. Observe them as they dry their wings on the top of the walls of Grmožur. On your way back, the boat will stop in the middle of the open water for you to take a refreshing swim. Ensure you bring your swimsuit and towel and immerse yourself in the crystal-clear blue waters. Finally, return to the starting point where the tour concludes.
IncludesSightseeing boat trip from Virpazar to Grmožur - the Montenegrin Alcatraz Local guide Trying local wine
- •Please note that the National park fee is not included in the price. It is mandatory to pay it upon arrival. It costs 5 euros per person (free for children under 15). •Please note that we don't provide lunch or meals during the tour. You're welcome to bring your own food or eat out before/after the tour. However, if you'd like us to organise your meal for you, please contact us by e-mail at least a few days before the tour. •Keep in mind that, during the summer, Montenegro has constant traffic jams, so be sure to plan your journey to Virpazar ahead. By arriving earlier, you avoid headaches over finding a parking spot for your car.